- Fleur Drive Construction: It was announced this Spring that there will be lane closures along Fleur Drive during the Iowa Annual Conference 2019. During construction, one northbound and one southbound lane of Fleur Drive will remain open. Please allow for extra time if you are traveling from the South to Hy-Vee Hall or use alternate routes.
Check back often for updates.
Camping – Day Care:
Families who intend to send their kids to AC day camp will now register through the Camps Office. You will find all the information you need on their webpage: www.iaumc.org/camps. You can register online through the link on the top of the page or find a downloadable catalog and registration form below the catalog cover. For more information please contact Shannon Bardole-Foley. Her information is below.
- Application to Serve as a Diakonos at the Iowa United Methodist Annual Conference – Download
Hy-Vee Hall in Des Moines, Iowa – June 7-11, 2019Your application, letter of reference, health form and housing deposit check must be mailed and postmarked by Monday April 23, 2019. After the 4th of May, I will let you know if you have been selected to serve as a Diakonos. All Diakonos will need to arrive at Hy-Vee Hall for check in at noon on Friday, June 7, 2019. Annual Conference will run Saturday, June 8, through Tuesday, June 11, 2019.
- Please mail the packet—DO NOT e-mail me the forms. I need originals with signatures. The only thing to be e-mail is your essay! I look forward to receiving your application packet.
- Pastor Steve Braudt
P.O. Box 57
Wilton, IA 52778
Each charge receives one lay member to Annual Conference. A charge served by more than one clergyperson is assigned an additional lay member for each additional appointed clergy. However, additional persons appointed to a charge who are from another annual conference, another denomination, are supervised and/or certified laypersons, or who are Temporary Pulpit Supply are not considered clergy for purposes of equalization and will not be in the total clergy count for that charge.
Please see the Lay Leadership list for laypersons who are in specified conference leadership positions. These persons are automatically equalization members and should not be elected to represent their local charge or their district.
Each district is assigned 15 at large members for the 2019 Annual Conference Session.
In addition, each district is also assigned
two young adult members (age 18 – 30)
and two youth members (high school age.)
Charges receiving equalization members are in boldface font on the list.
If you have questions, please contact the conference secretary, Nitza Dovenspike, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fill the Truck:
Benefiting: Community Mental Health Partnerships with NAMI
Sunday, June 9, 2019 from 6:00 am to 8:00 am
$15 Registration fee and/or pledges
Make checks out to Iowa Annual Conference with FITWALK in the memo line.
Location: Principal Riverwalk
Center St. & 2nd Ave Pedestrian Bridge (1 block east of HyVee Hall 3rd Ave. entrance)
Questions? Kae Tritle email@example.com
Housing Information – Grand View University Dorms:
Registration for Grandview Dorms is closed. Click here for the area hotels.
Meal Break Events:
Ministry With the Poor Project
Nominations for Annual Conference Elective Positions:
- Ubuntu Retreat Centre Kitchen Fund – offering of what has been collected in the districts during Opening Worship on Saturday
- 2019 Disaster Relief – during the Retirement Service on Saturday
- Mt Hope UMC and their outreach ministries – during Ordering Service on Sunday
- Mental Health Taskforce – during Memorial Service on Sunday
- Diakonos – during Order of the Day on Monday
Parking at Iowa Event Center (IEC)
- Members of the Annual Conference can park in the North Lot at the Iowa Events Center. This is FREE parking WITH a parking pass. Handicapped parking is in the Near North Lot. Golf carts will be available in the Near North Lot for those with physical challenges to and from Hy-Vee Hall.
- The Iowa Annual Conference provides three 6-person golf carts that run continuously between the Hy-Vee Hall parking lot and the Event Center during annual conference session hours.
- Handicapped Parking map
- We have a limited number of permit-only handicap parking spaces in the lower lot of Hy Vee Hall reserved for the 2019 Session of Annual Conference.
- If you feel you need one, please contact email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Permits will be issued on a case by case basis. Those with the most severe mobility issues who are unable to ride in the golf cartswill be given priority.
Camper and RV Parking
- There are electrical connections available in the NW corner of the Far North lot on a FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE basis.
- If you will be bringing your RV or camper to the Iowa Annual Conference, it is $28/day plus a one-time $25 hookup fee if you want electricity. A lot attendant from IEC will collect payment from you.
- Parking is in the NW corner in the Far North Lot.
- Please email us at email@example.com reserve your space in the Far North lot.
- Bring a long extension cord for power hookup.
Parking Off Site
- As of 2018 downtown parking meters charge from 9AM – 9PM Monday – Saturday
- Parking meters closest to Iowa Event Center are $0.75 per hour
- More Information and Maps
- 5th & Keosauqua(connected via skywalk,3 blocks South of IEC) Rate: $1.00/hour
- Center St Park & Ride(2 blocks West of IEC) Rate: $1.00/hr for the first two hours, $0.50/hour for each additional hour
- More Information and Maps
- Nearly 300 FREE off-street parking spaces can be found in Court Avenue District.
- Parking is free on the bridges over the Des Moines River, including Grand Ave, Locust St, Walnut St and Court Ave.
- Spaces with a green bag over the meter are free 24/7.
- Spaces without those bags are free after 6 p.m. and all day weekends.
A Prayer Room, in Room 107, will be available throughout Annual Conference. Stop in any time for prayer or quiet meditation. There are chairs and also an alter with kneeling pads. This simple “space apart” for centering and seeking God’s presence is provided by the Board of Laity and True Vine Ministry.
The 2019 Pre-Conference Manual is available for download at www.iaumc.org/pcm. You can download the electronic version now at no cost!
Printed copies are available for purchase for $15 if you order by May 1st.
If you purchase a printed copy before May 1st it will be mailed to you at the beginning of May.
- Registration for Annual Conference is done through your District Office. If you did not receive your registration form in your email, please contact your District Office. Registrations are due by April 15!!
- You will need to stop at the registration desk at Annual Conference to receive your name badge.
Annual Conference Registration Desk Hours:
Friday, June 7, 2019: 5 pm – 7:30 pm
Saturday, June 8, 2019: 7:30 am – 11 am, 1 pm – 4 pm, 6 pm – 7:30 pm
Sunday, June 9, 2019: Noon – 4 pm
Monday, June 10, 2019: 9 am – Noon
Tuesday, June 11, 2019: Closed
Retirees, Retiree Spouses and Surviving Spouses Luncheon:
Sunday, June 9, 2019, 11 AM
Vet’s Auditorium, Level 3, Room # TBD
Contact: Linda Remster (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Registration form must be received no later than Friday, May 17, 2019
$15 per person
- Buses will be available to both the downtown hotels and the south side hotels in the AM prior to start time of Annual Conference Sessions and in the PM after adjournment each day.
- Please plan to leave your car parked at your hotel and ride the bus to and from Hy-Vee Hall.
- Bus transportation will not be provided during meal break times to and from the hotels or the Grand View dorm since there is a Concessions area available onsite during meal break times.
- Enjoy four miles of climate-controlled skywalks in Downtown Des Moines
- Download the Des Moines Skywalk Navigation appto help you find your way.
- Download the Des Moines Skywalk Map
Free D-Line Downtown Shuttle
- The free D-Line runs in a loop, every 10 minutes, providing service from the East Village to the Western Gateway. Just hop on the bus at any of the stops – no fare needed.
- Weekdays 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturdays 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- More Information and Maps
Bike Rentals in Downtown Des Moines (BCycle)
- Bike sharing makes it economical and convenient to use bikes for trips that are too far to walk but too short to drive.
- How it Works:
- Purchase a membership online or at any B-station.
- Choose a bike from any B-station.
- Grab your bike and go.
- Park your bike at any B-station.
- Single Trip (Available at Stations Only), 30 Minute Pass, $3 + tax
- 24 Hour Pass (Available at Stations or Online) $6 + tax
- More information and Maps